"Noise induced hearing loss is 100% preventable and 100% irreversible."
- paul Checkley, Musicians' Hearing Services
Hearing is a basic tool for musicians.
Research shows that musicians suffer noise-induced hearing loss more than the general population. The effect of hearing loss for a musician can be a profound and sensitive issue. Help Musicians UK is here to help you prevent it, or to cope with it should it happen.
In partnership with Musicians' Hearing Services and the Musicians’ Union, we have created the Musicians' Hearing Health Scheme for all musicians in the UK. This is a scheme to give all those working in the industry affordable access to specialist hearing assessments and bespoke hearing protection.
For a one-off payment of £40 (£30 for MU members), the Musicians' Hearing Health Scheme offers the following:
- An audiological assessment and ear check-up from a specialist in musicians' hearing (worth up to £100)
- One set of custom-made, ACS Pro Series plugs (worth £140+)
- A two-yearly callback, where appropriate, for a subsidised hearing test
- Expert advice on referral routes and next steps to manage any problems
- Option of wax removal, if necessary, at a subsidised rate of £40